Sunday, February 08, 2009

Nerdicon 2009!

This past weekend was the 4th Annual NYC Comiccon, held at Jacob Javits Center. I've wanted to go for many years, being a closet nerd myself, and finally found a partner in Lord Josh. As the day got closer, I got giddier and giddier, until I couldn't take it any longer and got a Green Lantern tattooed on my chest. The first thing I noticed was how giant the convention was, and how packed it was. I wanted badly to barrel straight ahead and yell out "move out of my way, you damned nerds, or I'll force you aside with my power ring," but refrained. I have never seen so many nerds in one place. I mean, really. The event was light on free giveaways. Also, there were surprisingly few females, except for a couple dressed up as slutty pirate wenches, but really, just sluts, to promote...I don't know what. Who would have thought a comiccon would be such a sausage-fest?

For the most part, I was disappointed by the costume presence. Sure, there were a couple well done Ghostbusters, a Boba Fett, and many Star Wars dorks, but there was also a beer-bellied Spiderman, many horrible Jokers and a fat Baroness von Slut. I got to meet many authors and writers I respect and admire, and with one exception, everyone was super-nice and friendly, with no pretensions. Unfortunately, I missed out on Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis, writer and artist on Green Lantern, but met Peter Tomasi (GL Corps writer) and Patrick Gleason (artist GL Corps) who was nice enough to draw a quick sketch of Isamot on the cover of my GL Corps #1. Other highlights included Francis Leinil Yu, Arthur Suydam, who did my favorite cover of all time for Moon Knight, Mark Texiera, artist for Moon Knight, a Hal Jordan sketch made for me by Steve Walker, and flexing on Leonardo and Raphael of TMNT. I got to meet Charlie Huston, who brought Moon Knight back and turned it into one of the best written comics currently being published before passing it to the equally able Mike Benson. I had to keep a clear head as much as possible, because the 'con was so overwhelming. It was important to focus on things that could only be bought or seen there, rather than getting bogged down with the thousands of comics I lusted after that were being sold by guys with setups that looked like they belonged in an Elks Lodge.

Video games had a very heavy presence at the 'con, as did toys. I got geeked for the new, old school TMNT action figures, as well as Marvel and DC's new 3 inch lines. The show stealer though was Erick Scarecrow and his vinyl toy collection. I think it's quite fortuitous for him that his last name is Scarecrow. Worked out well. I've never been big into the vinyl, Japanese/graffiti inspired toy scene, but immediately loved the ESC Muraida ltd edition. Erick was the nicest guy we met there, from Queens, treated everyone like friends and is as tall as Josh and I. The two of us are currently fighting over who Erick likes best, and Josh's girlfriend Dara is really jealous. She shouldn't be though, because clearly it's me. Though if we ever go get tea, I'll definitely invite you, Josh.








Lord Josh found the toys!

Mark Texiera of Moon Knight

Erick signing Muraida

2 comments:

koolredd said...

Mark Texiera is a pro baseball player and he draws comics. Yo, he is my new hero

L BO said...

You could have worse role models, I guess. But he don't play baseball.