Sunday, May 16, 2010

Feliz Cumpleanos

Cliched as ever, yet I got to say it anyway. Turning 29 freaked me out more than just a little. Both because of what I'm leaving behind (the roaring 20s) and what I'm heading towards: 30. 30! Not the 30-30 club, which would be awesome, but the certainty of an uncertain adulthood.

To a young L-Bo, 30 represented an unfathomable age. My parents were 30 before I was even born, but that fact never quite stuck with me. So 30 always seemed to be (no offense parents) older to me then than it does now, as that was the age I imagined them for most of my childhood.. Because now, I don't feel like an adult, so I can't feel old. Thirty represented (/still does?) having all my shit together, having a good job, having a ton of fun life experience, including travel and living in other cities/countries, and being ready to settle down with a serious girlfriend. It makes me think of family starting and maybe taking myself a little more seriously. Having not accomplished much of that, I'm hesitant to leave my 20s behind me and move forward. Unfortunately, I'm not certain it's my choice.

O yea, thanks to everyone who came out to help me celebrate! It was a great time, as always. I appreciate the love.

No comments: