Wednesday, February 16, 2011

This Dating Life: Tortoises Are NOT Turtles

Sometimes I wonder if I'm too picky when it comes to dating. Perhaps I'm a snob, or I let stupid little things get to me. I screen my dates pretty well, ensuring they can spell, they're over 21, they don't have an Adam's Apple (funny story about that...one of my friends, when much younger, believed it was an item unique to him, in name. His name is Adam, and so he by this logic, I'd have an L Bo's Apple) and they're not interested in my millions. Of imaginary money. Still, sometimes in the middle of a first or second date, they will say something I find difficult to believe, as I considered them intelligent enough to go out with. For example, this woman told me, after my semi-long exaltation of the benefits of heritage animals and heirloom fruit that she didn't know what heirloom meant. I know it was wrong, but it made me think less of her. In the end, it didn't matter anyway.

After much debate back in December, I decided to give another online lady the benefit of the doubt and meet her for a first date. Somehow (as always), animals had come up in our correspondence, and she had this to say about tortoises and turtles: "I confess I don't totally understand what a tortoise is. I imagine them as being slightly less cute [than turtles], but I think that has more to do with children's stories than reality." This might seem insipid, even harmless, but then I got to thinking; what other species of animal would she be unable to identify or would she confuse? What if we were out for a night stroll and she remarked there was a really cute dog following us, and it was in fact a rabid wolf? Or we could be visiting friends who she said have a pet iguana, and in reality it was a tyrannosaurus rex? Thank you for saving my life, paranoia, instincts, and snobbery!

3 comments:

pkiller said...

I had no idea what heirloom meant either until a lovely farmer at Union Square Greenmarket took the time to explain it to me. In 2010.

And I also can't really tell the difference between horses and cows when traveling 40 mph on a country road in Maryland.

So, kiss it, snob.

L BO said...

I think I prefer the guy who yells out Congo man about town! better.

Interesting....B-rad can't tell the difference between goats and horses...so no one in your apartment has any farm animal identification skills.

prograham said...

I like how you city folk have to hide in corners on the internet to talk trash about people like me that can identify any farm animal on sight. I don't know where this nonsense came from about me not being able to tell the difference between a goat and a horse.

God help you all come Fallout.