Sunday, March 11, 2007

Discovering the Cookie Bunny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wqxFJj9V7U

My friend J$ recently passed along this exquisite clip from Sesame Street, which teaches youngsters many important life lessons:


  1. White cookies are completely different than blue cookies
  2. Both are delicious, in their own special ways
  3. Plausible deniability. When Ernie tells Cookie Bunny that one plus two equals three, he responds "It's possible." Just in case, at some latter point, he receives intelligence countering that mathematical claim.
  4. Ernie's kind of a prick. He keeps berating Cookie Bunny with "1 plus 2. 1 plus 2," never offering any advice or shortcuts to doing the math, like counting the cookies. Unreasonable pressure to do addition causes many children to turn to a life of crime and alcoholism. I sure hope Cookie Monster won't suffer the same fate. I mean, Bunny.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pr!ck, indeed. Now I'm kind of glad I left my Ernie toy at home.

I'm astutely sensing a sciencey-math motif in your recent blog posts. Dare I say you're beginning to challenge the Areas Of My Expertise?

jess said...

cookie monster is wearing a yarmulke with rabbit ears growing out of it. now that's kinda weird.