Thursday, October 18, 2007

New species discovered

By me. At the Staten Island Zoo. Before you get all uppity and claim that's not very scientific, how many of you have ever found the Staten Island Zoo (or even knew that much maligned borough had a wildlife conservation park) let alone seen a fossa in real life? That's what I thought. Just me, and I really need to work on not contradicting myself.

My sister and I, on our second recent zoo trip together, completed the 5 zoo circuit that is New York City. See my super scientifically rankings immediately below this sentence, after the colon:

1. Bronx Zoo - Variety of bears, tree kangaroo boxing events, constantly sleeping bear cats, overall hugeness, Jungle World and World of Darkness propel the Bronx to numero uno.

2. Propect Park Zoo - Proximity to my apartment (Brooklyn stand up!), kangaroos and wallabies that aren't prevented from crossing over into human land, and being NYC's second most unknown zoo.

3. Central Park Zoo - Snow monkeys are always playful, but never seem to jump on and ride the swans in the water; neurotic polar bear and the rain forest exhibit with birds flying over your head should propel this zoo to 2, but it's not near me and I've always felt it could be and should be better.

4. Queens Zoo - Black bears and sentimental childhood memories along with recent reconstruction and a decently kick ass aviary prevent this from being the worst, though it is quite tiny.

5. Staten Island Zoo - Nobody even knows this zoo exists, and they probably won't until it finishes reconstruction to match the brand new Reptile House. Rare animals like fossas and the ability to stick your fingers inside the wire fence at the Amur Leopard exhibit, plus mostly emptiness during the week, make this a decent choice.

However, all NYC zoos and aquariums are better than...

6. The Mystic Aquarium is a total ripoff for $22 dollars or whatever it is. Rather than taking a trip there with your family, save your money and, on a visit to Chicago, check out their Aquarium. Or, buy some goldfish for your children.

Sorry, once I started reviewing things I got carried away.

To see more images of cute zoo animals, visit my flickr page. Seriously, this is well worth your time.

No comments: