Saturday, February 25, 2012

Office Job Pitfalls

I recently tricked an old boss into giving me a job at the stock photography company she's running, which is great for me, because I like getting paid.  It allows me to live indoors (which is very important to me in the winter), and buy food to eat, and do other things that allow me to keep living.  I've been at the job now for about 5 months, and it's been going swimmingly.  Mostly.  It took me a while to overcome my biggest hurdle, which was salutations.


As part of my job, I had to call and email a lot of photographers.  It was easy enough to sign off my emails with "Thanks, L Bo," but I wanted something a little more fun and creative.  Many of our photographers are British, which allows them to casually and breezily say things like "Cheers," to end a conversation.  I, however, am American, and on top of that, not nearly cool enough to use that phrase on the phone, and in an email, it feels like I'm cheating.  I've tried many incarnations on the phone, like "talk to you soon," which is often a lie; "have a great day," which makes me sound like a salesman; and "sincerely," which doesn't even make sense.  I've finally settled on "Toodles," or "Ta-ta for now," when it's more formal.  Obstacle hurdled.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

LMAO....It's nice to know that I am not the only one who thinks so intently about these things.

Unknown said...

I agree with everything that Visio guy wrote about this.