Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Birbigs Inspired Mom Joke

My sister and I were planning out my Mom's birthday, the same way we do every year.  We talk about it a month before it's going to happen, then do nothing.  Then, a week before, we discuss what we should do for it, then do nothing.  A few days before, we discuss restaurants and logistics, then do nothing.  Finally, the day before, we talk on the phone about restaurants.  And finally, do nothing.  Until the very next day, when we make reservations.  Which is exactly what reservations were invented for...last minute table saving.

This year, we decided to break from tradition and look for a good French restaurant.  We're looking on nymag.com for their restaurant recommendations, entrees around 25 to 30 bucks, so we could all enjoy appetizers, a bottle of wine (or some French malt liquor, whatever) and dessert.  Nothing more expensive, so my sister and I wouldn't go broke.  You know, a nice dinner.  At a place my mom would like.  However, all we could find were places that were $40 and up for entrees.  I told my sister, "it's like, I love you, Mom, but maaaaaybe not for $75 dollars a person."

Epilogue: We found a cheaper French restaurant.  It was delicious.  My mother enjoyed it, as we all did.  The wine list baffled me, but the sommelier was helpful, and even taught me how to write "Happy Birthday, yo!" in French.  I have since forgotten.  Happy New Year everyone, and remember to cherish your family.  Just maybe not at such a high price point.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I met your mom. She gave me a hug. She's definitely worth a $75 meal.

Not...not like a LOT of $75 meals. Not habitual $75 meals.

That would just be unreasonable.