Monday, December 18, 2006

Oh, Possum!

Thursday night, quite drunk, stumbling back from my boss' housewarming party, I turned the corner on my block and came face to...uhm, ankle, with an opossum. I'd never seen a live one in the wild before, so despite it's rat-like appearance, I was quite excited. I was also intoxicated enough to believe it was Splinter. It was so surreal, standing on the corner of my block in Brooklyn, with an opossum on the curb in front of a car (probably not its own, they're notorious for riding shotgun) that I didn't even think to take a photo with my camera phone as proof against naysayers. By the time I thought about it, Mr. Opossum had smoothly slid under the automobile, out of sight, and a little voice in the back of my head told me reaching my hand into a dark space to grab the opossum was a bad idea.

I've also discovered parrots (or perhaps parakeets) in my neighborhood, but haven't been able to take a photo of them yet. Watching one fly with wire in it's beak to build/repair their nest on top of a telephone pole was quite cool. Plus, I thought maybe they'd be good for home improvements on my condo.


Unfortunately, both of these species do not belong in Brooklyn, further underscoring the problems with global warming and keeping exotics as pets, which is often times how exotic birds end up in Hasidic areas of Brooklyn. Hmmm, maybe global warming isn't so bad, if it will eventually allow kangaroos to migrate to Brooklyn too.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

um, you've never seen a possum in the wild? they eat my cat's food all the time. they're really scary.

you should come to texas sometime. i still can't believe you've never seen a possum in the wild.

Anonymous said...

Finally, you admit there's a difference between a possum (lame!) and an OOHHHHHHpossum (neat!). This is a big step! Maybe it's a good thing they built those malls where the wildlife preserve used to be, after all.

L BO said...

I've also never seen an armadillo as my pet. Hint, Hint, finn. I will come to Texas. But only because you asked me to.

Cats are really scary. They have claws, are unpredictable and make me sneeze. So I'm glad the opossums eat their food. Especially if they cutesy names, like Mittens, Buttons, or Excavator.

Anonymous said...

Actually, Ratso and Leg are the outside cats.

Long stories.

Wanna drive me to La Guardia at 3:30 Saturday morning? You know you do.

L BO said...

The comment section of this blog is not for soliciting rides to airports. This is a safe place for serious discussion about armadillos and why I don't have one as a pet.

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of that one time, in summer-session Spanish class after senior year, when we dissected lyrics to our favorite Latin pop songs, and it came to light that Jason Ng thought the line after "Bailamooooos!" was "te quiero, armadillo."

You can ask Jess if you don't believe me.