Monday, November 12, 2007

House Happenings

On a recent trip to Home Depot, I bought a bypass lopper and an axe. Or a hatchet. Which to be honest, they shouldn't have let me buy. I love the loppers. Don't make any Cyndi Lauper jokes, because I've heard them already. I go outside with them (not Cyndi) and I've successfully attacked a mulberry tree, an out of control rose of sharon, and trimmed back my elm tree. They're addictive though; once you feel those blades slicing through wood like it was room temperature butter and you've rolled out of the way to avoid the much larger than expected falling branch, you'll never want to stop. The hatchet, on the other hand, is quite difficult to use. I've managed to chop down some smaller tree-like things, but I'm no George.* I did have a scary moment when I swung and missed, towards my left thigh, but had the presence of mind not to attack myself. Dynamo and I will be taking down the trees later, lumberjack style, probably without any self-inflicted bodily harm. Once that's done, I'll keep the hatchet around to practice my weapon throwing skills, ward off annoying super-intendants, and as a cat deterrent.

*************************************************

Dynamo's lady friend made us merguez (not mirgaz, as originally believed) last night. Merguez is a ground lamb with an exoskeleton of plastic casing, found naturally in the wild. It grows on trees and is picked in the early morning, when it's freshest. Deliciously spiced, it can be used to make just about anything that has merguez as an ingredient. Dynamo and I, being adults and all, petitioned his lady friend until she made our merguez in the shape of a bear, bison and 4 point crown, using cookie cutters which had previously been neglected. I'm now refusing to eat any ground meats unless they've been prepared in an ursine shape.


*As in, "and the cherry tree."

No comments: