Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Your Mom's the Speed Limit

A couple months ago, I received a traffic violation ticket for making a left turn onto a road that was left-turn prohibited until a certain time. I didn't see the sign until I was halfway through the turn and in the middle of the intersection. Not wanting to cause an accident, and because I really wanted to go left, I made the turn. Cops immediately pulled me over and notified me of the error of my ways. Eventually, I remembered to dispute the ticket and was granted my day in court.

Thinking it best not to drive to traffic court and worrying about metal detectors and other such delays, I Q-trained it over to the DMV in Coney Island where I ended up waiting for 20 minutes. About 25 of us entered a small room that had what I assumed to be a judge and a clerk, and sat on benches. The judge would call the offenders up one by one, ask them how they plead, let the officer state their case, and if they met their burden of proof, hear the offender's defense. While waiting, I got to be entertained.

"This is my cell phone bill from T-Mobile. You'll see I made no calls during that time. This is my only bill, and I can't have made this up, since it's from T-Mobile, and I don't make their bills. It wasn't a phone in my hand, maybe she saw me scratching my ear."
"She didn't see me do anything, because the car in front of me ran the stop sign, not me, and she made a U-turn so she couldn't have seen me."
"He was following me too closely. I was fine. He should have gotten the ticket for following too close, not me," said the lady, ticketed for following the car in front too closely, about the cop who gave her the ticket. Denial's a fine defense, but when you really want to make your point, turn it back on them. No, you're the one who is guilty!!

Finally it was my turn. The lady cop who was the partner of the male cop who had given me the summons wasn't prepared to argue her case. The judge refused her motion to reschedule, since I was a first time offender and had shown up, and dismissed my case. I wonder if showing up on time always yields such positive results. Freed from charges against me, I celebrated by jaywalking all the way back to the subway.

No comments: