Monday, January 26, 2009

I Know How Fios Works

"HD, please explain the internet to me."
"What about the internet?"
"Well, I need to know about speeds. I mistakenly understand that 10 Mb/sec. should take me 1 second to download a 10 MB file, but how does it relate to 768 Kb/sec and what is a good internet speed for someone who just wants to check email and send the occasional 3-5 MB photo?"
"That's up to your boss. Any speed will allow you to get email. I have Fios, cause I'm fancy and like options."
"Would I need new wiring for Fios? Is it faster or cheaper?"
"No, because the light travels along glass tubing until it gets to you, then it runs on the copper cable that cable does."
"I'm so confused though, how does light carry signals on it?"
"No, it's more like...hmmm. Ok, it's like when you turn your flashlight on and off."
"That makes no sense. When I turn my flashlight on, I don't have internet and my TV doesn't work."
"Imagine the flashlight being turned on and off, super fast."
"So the Flash is the force behind Fios?"

No comments: