Friday, June 06, 2008

Birthright Israel 2: Hummus Abounds!

Morning was pretty rough, as last night I slept without a blanket again, trying and failing to cover myself with hand towels to ward off the chill from the A/C. Drinking 1/2 a bottle of wine and getting my ass kicked in water basketball didn't help the waking up process. On the 2nd night we were in Israel, we finally held ice breakers at the kibbutz's pool. Our peer leaders set up a game of Jewish bingo for us, which was mostly useless in helping me learn people's names, but I did find out who's favorite color was blue. If only I could match the name to the face. Everyone knows drinking is the best ice breaker anyway. In time, I would compare the trip to freshman year of college. Everyone starts off pretty friendly, since we're all thrown together in an unfamiliar new country, and as time goes on, you become friends with the people who you really want to be. For me, this wasn't too many, as I was often buried in my camera or not feeling great due to 5 hours of sleep, hikes, and not eating enough. I probably lost 7-10 pounds on the trip.

We visited Tzfat, birthplace of Jewish mysticism and City of Four Spellings. It was here that I received a red bracelet, which makes me a high priest of kaballah. This bracelet of destiny has been tied to my left wrist in an unbreakable knot of eternity by the hands of Fate herself. Or it was just double knotted really well by my sister. Whatever. I also learned that blue is a very significant color in the Middle East, which is why many windows are blue. I definitely know the reason behind this, but I'm gonna choose to keep it to myself. We visited some old synagogues with birds flying around inside and then a candle store which made a wax Noah's ark, Super-Rabbi, Super-Jew, and strangest of all, the Incredible Hulk.

Our first night out in Jerusalem gave us a good impression of what Israeli nightlife was like: crappy American house music mixed with lots of Americans who couldn't dance too well. Hookahs came for free with beer I think. The night was forever immortalized in the same way most nights out are for me: photos of flashing gang signs and at least one beer in my other hand.

According to my itinerary, Friday we traveled westwards to Tel Aviv and we may or may not have experienced the Mediterranean at a beach (I just remember a lot of whining towards that end). Once there, we got to see a movie on how Tel Aviv was founded that was made from stock footage in the 80s, but the rest of the experience at Independence Hall was well worth the trip. A sabra told the tale dramatically, totally nailing the David Ben Gurion gavel bang, and gave some perspective through her personal story of raising a boy and sending him off to the military. Things got even more somber at Rabin square, a memorial to Yitzhak Rabin, who was taken from Israel too soon by an assassination. The day was topped off with more local culture and me getting hissed at by an olive vendor at the Shabbat market, a raucous and fast moving food market not unlike what you'd see in a movie. Imagine hundreds of Israelis rushing about to gather food supplies and bargain before everything shuts down for the day of rest, and you'll have some idea of the chaos.

That night was really the only time on the whole trip any religion was forced on us. There was a Shabbat program consisting of a story of a man who loved a song that went "li li la li la li li" because, and here's a spoiler warning cause I'm giving away the surprise ending, his dad wrote it, but he didn't know this because he thought he was Muslim and he never knew his real father. The other story had to do with why Shabbat was special, and the answer was that all the other days had paired up. I guess getting rejected at a singles party for days of the week makes you special, though it's an interesting definition. There was also exploitation of the young passionate Jew from Brooklyn's daughter to sing songs.

Our more secular tour guide relayed his personal opinion on it afterwards, and I could really get behind the main idea. I don't buy into not using electricity on Shabbat, but liked the idea of not doing work on Saturday, using it as a day to relax and be with your family. I could even get behind it from a spiritual sense too, but found too often people took it too seriously or justified what they did or didn't do. We would find pre-ripped toilet paper at many of the kibbutzes because ultra-religious Jews couldn't do that on Shabbat. Really? Is ripping toilet paper really considered work? I like to take a nap every day, but this puts even my laziness to shame.

No comments: