Monday, June 09, 2008

To Catch a Cat

For the past year and a half I've been at war with the neighborhood's feral felines, a war which I was continuously losing. No matter how many plastic forks I put down as deterrents, how many cinder blocks I used to block up holes in the fence, how many times I cursed them, these clever cats found ways to get in and fulfill what I can only assume was their dream of crapping in my raised bed garden. When they weren't accomplishing their sole mission in life, they meowed and fought loudly, forced me to buy chicken wire to cover the vegetable garden, and left behind the heads of kittens.

Yesterday I finally won a battle in this long fought war. One of the cats recently had kittens and left them unattended. I scooped up one of the clueless 3 week old kittens and put it in timeout in a paint bucket while I searched for his sibling, who had managed to scamper off into low brush. After fruitless searching, I eventually brought the kitten outside and left him on the steps to meow pitifully, thus drawing both his mother and sibling out of hiding. The mother quickly scampered off, but I had the brothers scooped up in a towel and eventually deposited in their cardboard box holding cell, along with water and milk (which they wouldn't drink until I hit on the idea of having James Cash breast feed them since they weren't yet weaned). They didn't do much except look cute. Their mother spent a large portion of the evening staring in to my apartment, no doubt hoping to get her scions back. However, she failed to understand the basic rules of hostage negotiations, and didn't offer me anything in exchange.

I brought the kittens to a shelter where they will no doubt be adopted on the strength of adorableness and saved from being one of "many kitties who die in the backyard over the winter," as my cat feeding and encouraging moron of a neighbor noted. To add to mother cat's bad luck, today she was captured in my cat trap. I was elated, but thought being too bragadocious would be in bad taste, so I merely went outside and captured my flexing on her for posterity. That'll teach you to trespass, assholes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heart flexologies. And the freaking VISIBLE heat in that picture (beyond the flexing, of course).

Kittens are mad cute yo. What the hell pact with the devil do they make at adolescence that turns them into such beasts?

thefont9 said...

Larry I want to be your roommate again. I'm moving to Brooklyn. You're stupid for not keeping the tiger cat.