Monday, February 23, 2009

Science! I said SCIENCE!

Recently, I got paid to drive roundtrip NYC to Amherst via New Haven and visit my friend J$.  The purpose of the trip was to transport a photographer to shoot two scientists who had won Humboldt awards, which means they are way smarter than me, and probably you too.  After all, you are reading a blog by me.  The Humboldts are squid-shaped and awarded to scientists only after they've won a Nobel prize, and come in such categories as "Smartypantsiest," "Best Biologically Robotic Neurosurgeon," "Best Dressed," and "Comeback Scientist of the Year."  They also come with a prize of five million euros over five years, with the winners required to move to Germany and attach themselves at a university for the duration, apparently in the hope the scientists will give all the money back by spending it on sausage and lederhosen.

I got to meet Professor Oliver Brock, of the Robotics and Biology department at UMass Amherst, and Chair of Comparative Medicine and Other Things Tamas Horvath of Yale.  Both were very down to earth, friendly and funny guys, who turned my image of a scientist on its head.  Scientists are normal people, just like you and me, only way way way smarter, apparently drink way more, and have interests like "the neuroendocrine regulation of homeostasis with particular emphasis on metabolic disorders."  It was my first time at Yale, or even stopping in New Haven, despite having made the trip to Boston or Amhest countless times.  From there, I got to go to my first Costco and peruse their TV section (great savings when purchasing 20!) and the 40-gallons-of-cheddar-sauce area, perfect for a small family of thirty.

No comments: