Friday, April 10, 2009

Dear Mike Birbiglia

Dear Mike Birbiglia,

I'd like to apologize for pointing and looking like a jackass when I saw you in the lobby of a building on Broadway. I was going there with a photographer I work for to make some prints for his portfolio, and when I realized the man in the lobby in a spacesuit was one of my favorite comedians, I couldn't control myself. As the realization dawned on me that you weren't a cosmonaut or Buzz, my brain sent information to my arm and told it to point, almost obnoxiously. It was very kind of you to say, in an exaggerated way since you were on the other side of glass, "I know. I'm in a spacesuit!" It wasn't the outlandish outfit, which you were wearing for your upcoming tour with Comedy Central that will be unbelievably hysterical, that caused me to be excited and querulous, but more so just your presence. I never get to run into people I admire or am starstruck by (sorry whichever Olsen twin I was on the shoot with), and so I couldn't think of much more to say than how much I loved your off Broadway "Sleepwalk With Me" and how funny I think you are. I wish I had thought to shake your hand, or get a photo with you, or ask if I could shoot a portrait of you someday, or see if you perhaps wanted to grab a beer and talk about the Muppets, because maybe that's something you like also. Let's be honest; it's hard not to.

At first I was sort of glad I didn't wear my "I'm a bear, etc." shirt, because that would be embarrassing. On the other hand, maybe if I had, you'd know I'm a fan and even though we differ in opinion on bears, that's what we could talk about over beers. Well, I hope you had a good shoot. I saw the promo photo and your facebook shot, and they looked good. I may comment on your page or send fan mail, but by now, you've probably forgotten about me in the sea of people who pointed at the man in a space suit. Good luck on the tour and hopefully I'll get to sit front row at another show.


Your friend (well, not really, but I could be),
Larry

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

L BO said...

Thank you, anonymous. I'm going to pretend you're Mike Birbiglia, because that would be awesome if he read my blog about him.
So, really, thank you Mike Birbiglia. You too are creative, and my favorite comedian.