Thursday, May 01, 2008

Raised Bed, Raised Bed

A couple weeks ago, I finished building an 8' by 4' by 1' raised bed out of a bunch of old studs I found in the basement and a 16 foot long 2 x 12 of deliciously sappy Douglas fir from Home Depot. I even installed small PVC pipes along the side in case I ever want to run bird netting or plastic across the top to extend the growing season. The project took some time and effort, as 8 foot long lumber isn't easy to maneuver or attach to shorter lumber using small screws I had lying around (the themes being cheapness and reuse of materials). Despite drilling a good portion of the holes on my wooden floor, I managed to never drill into it. Naturally I was excited to finish this personal project one year in the thinking, and composed a song for the occasion.

Raised bed, raised bed
What you gonna do?
What you gonna do when I grow vegetables in you?

After a few renditions, James Cash started to hate me. But no worries, as I soon had a new reason to sing a different song. After filling half the bed with fifteen 40 pound bags of soil, I managed to quickly come up with this song:

Top soil, top soil
What you gonna do?
What you gonna do when I fill the raised bed with you?





Admittedly, it doesn't have that certain excitement, tension and superior lyrical quality of the first song that just grips you, but I was working quickly. In fact it was really more of a freestyle. Afterwards, we put my grill outside and decided we needed light out there so we could bbq at night, which resulted in a trip to Home Depot and a purchase that excited Jamie. Clamp light, clamp light...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LBO you are so weird, I'm proud of you son

L BO said...

Thanks anonymous father like figure.