Tuesday, September 26, 2006

I should be an economic advisor

The following dream like sequence took place when "shelled out the 5 beans to enter" was read as "shelled out the 5 bears to enter." From the opening statement of a photoset from pkiller's privately run Home for Good Photos:

Itchy for more sunshine, brother dear and I shelled out the
5 beans to enter Riis Park, where a hidden pitch-n-putt course and topless beach
await! (Unfortunately for this photo set, we visited neither.)
I was in an alternate future, ripe with deliciousness, and delirious with possibilities. 5 bears. Imagine that! An economy based on using bears as currency. Grizzlies and polar bears would be worth more than black and sloth bears, of course. Pandas would flood the market, much like Keropi gear in Chinatown 5 years ago. Koala bears would be looked upon like 2 dollar bills - everyone wants one, but nobody's quite sure that they're still considered legal tender. Bear dogs and the binturongs (nicknamed the bear-cat), as they aren't real bears, would be viewed like Canadian money. Trying to pass a teddy bear off as real currency could earn you 3 to 5. Should you come across a ghost bear on the street, pick it up! It's like finding a 1969-S Lincoln Cent with a Doubled Die Obverse!

But consider the ramificiations of a marketplace driven by this furry legal tender. By this, I mean in regards to my personal finance, because I see no way in which a future society governed by the economic principles of bear trading is bad. Unless, of course, everyone uses bears to purchase Segways. I would be extremely better at saving, because why would i want to get rid of bears? I'd have a huge vault, like Scrooge McDuck, but it's probably easier to do the backstroke through dubloons than ursines. I'd end up selling everything I own, including my jointly recently purchased condo, just to gain more bears. Actually, before this alternate future happens, I'll probably lose the condo when I decide playing craps is a good way to pay off the mortgage. I'd have 1 set of clothing, eat off other people's plates at restaurants (to be fair, that's currently something I aspire to) and probably have to cut back on buying Green Lantern merchandise. None of this matters, as I'd have AN ARMY OF DIFFERENT SPECIES OF BEARS!!!!

The saying goes, "Money can't buy you happiness." But that's only because we're still on the dollar.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For someone who's not a hockey fan, you sure spell Canadian like one.

L BO said...

So it turns out bear dogs are not the awesome hybrid I once thought it was, but a dog used to hunt these magnificent beasts. However, to learn more about how they have a great sense of humor, check them out here:
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/karelianbeardog.htm
And to buy one from Jim and Sharon,
http://crazywolf.com/beardog/

If you buy one and teach it to hunt bears, I will track you down, with my human dog.

Anonymous said...

Why are you not in charge of our Treasury? Why does Lou Dobbs get a finance show, and not you?

The answer is simple: The world is a sick, sick place, obsessed with placing value on shiny things.

True worth is in fur. You've already taught this to lobsters, it seems. When, oh when, are you going to teach the world?