Sunday, September 10, 2006

My Nigerian Food Misadventures

Excited isn't the word. There was definitely some trepidation, but Dynamo knows me, knows what kind of food I don't eat (neither spicy nor disgusting) and had been there before. Plus, he's laid up with a "recovering-from-surgery-knee." Milking it, is what it is. Nonetheless, I felt obligated to go where he wanted.

And I'm so glad I did, because now I feel fully qualified to present my list of...

What Not To Do At The Nigerian Restaurant:


Expect your waiter to listen to you while he's talking on the phone. It's rude to interrupt someone's conversation

Expect your waiter to not sell CDs out the back of the restaurant (bootlegged or otherwise)

Turn the waiter away when you're not ready to order. He will go sell CDs out the back of the restaurant

Order goat head

Order mixed meat

Order anything if you can't handle spicy food and don't want to eat with your hands

Be white

Expect the waiter to bring you what you ordered

Order fish. Your meal, even if it's plantains with rice, will undoubtably come with fish of some sort


Try ordering food that's not on the menu. This actually probably goes for all restaurants

Repeatedly insist you heard there was a Ghanian woman who made good Red Red here. This tends to sound like you're trying to score drugs, or powerful Kool-Aid

Let the waiter pick which sauce to put on your fish dish. He WILL opt for the "slimy sauce"*

Yell how you prefer Senegalese food as you run out the front door, even if it's true




*When the waiter gave the "option" of slimy sauce, this is what popped into my head: http://oldschooltoons.tripod.com/images/slimer.jpg

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are being a little unfair; it could have beam a sick family member on the phone. Additionally, how dare you make fun of an individual who is trying to make money on the side to help pay expenses for said sick family member? You are clearly a jerk. I kid. I kid. You missed two key things: we did not have slimy sauce, we also did not have mixed meat but we should have.

Anonymous said...

STOP waltzing around asking Ghanian women for Red Red, you manhooker.

Anonymous said...

So... what CDs did you buy?

L BO said...

I hate the veil of anonymity that some choose to hide behind. And I bought Outcasts and ReadMan.

Anonymous said...

Dude, I love phonics rap.

Anonymous said...

worked for me
-Dynamo

L BO said...

I'm really not even sure I know what phonics rap is. I do know what pekoe tea is, and while delicious, I prefer green.