Sunday, October 19, 2008

Pumpkin Fields Forever

I went out to Long Island with my family to go pumpkin picking and to get any other kinds of fresh, farm picked produce we could get our greedy hands on. I find it sad that there's less and less farm land on L.I. as more and more identical gated communities are constructed with golf courses for rich assholes to own. I love pumpkin picking, and kept thinking of Linus in the patch. We don't do that fake shit, with pumpkins pre-picked in wooden crates or set up on grass. We go into the actual patch and cut them off the vines, frontier style. My sister and I spend hours looking around for perfect pumpkins, then bringing them together and debating their individual merits. For me, the ideal pumpkin is a deep orange color, a good 15-20 pounds, and roundish shape, with strong character traits, like deep grooves and furrows. No pretty boy pumpkin for me. It was a really fun day, and I came back super happy. Afterward, I realized I just want to be always surrounded by squashes, pumpkins, and gourds. Ah, pure bliss!

No comments: