Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Average Expectations

For the last two days, I've resolved to be quite productive and find a job as well as a future ex-wife, but only so long as I can do both online and conveniently. In fact, if there's no "Apply Now" button for the job on monster.com, I move on to the next one. I'm finding both of these tasks rather difficult, but also noticing that surprisingly, they share some similarities.

With so many people applying for the attractive options, it's really hard to differentiate yourself. You have to come in with the mindset that at least 50 other people want this. What makes me better than any of them? I just am. You'll have to take my word for it. And don't ask any questions that put me on the spot, like what's my best quality or what quality do I not like about myself that I'm working on.

I'm tired of trying to market and sell myself to strangers when I know I'm a perfectly adequate choice and would perform moderately well as boyfriend or employee. I know what I can and can't do, and don't apply for things out of my league. Hotbibella79, who likes big muscled guys with tattoos, I'm sorry but I don't fit the bill. AvantiCreativeDirector08, I just don't have the experience or skill set to head up your department. I understand this, and am ok with it. With more experience and less fear of needles, maybe one day, but for now I'm okay with where I'm searching. Unfortunately, ladies can't see my ginormous biceps and statuesque body through their computers, and jobs can't see me causing huge amounts of dollars to flow in the future by looking at my resume.

Inevitably, 80% of the women and jobs you apply for just won't get back to you. I used to believe it's rudeness, but maybe they do it to keep your dignity in tact. You understand when you don't receive a response that nobody likes you without anyone having to spell it out for you. Hey, rejection hurts. I was just rejected to be a photographer/studio assistant at a hospital, and in fact, they additionally noted I wasn't qualified for the job. I'm pretty sure they were one step away from calling me a stupid cretin and telling me how out of my league they are. How am I not qualified for that job? I'm a photographer, I can assist, I've watched Scrubs and I've been in a hospital before. Perfectly suited. You know what, job, I didn't really want to have you anyway. You were just a backup until a hotter job got back to me.

No comments: