Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentino's Day

Valentino's was a pizzeria by my parents house that I used to frequent when I was in elementary school. In sixth grade, we were allowed to go out for lunch, a privilege and freedom for kids that age that undoubtedly no longer exists. Valentine's day that year, I decided I was going to ask my childhood crush, Erin, out to lunch. I got all prepared, asking my friends for advice, and was set to be the ultimate gentleman; I was going to pay for the pizza AND pull her chair out for her. Somewhere along the line, our signals got crossed, and she ended up at McDonald's while I ate a slice alone.

But I'm not bitter. Valentine's Day marked the beginning of one of my relationships, senior year in high school. I cleared my parents out of the apartment for the night with my wiles and cooked up a nice dinner in my fanciest sweater. This led to a two year relationship, and to me attending SUNY Albany freshman year even though I didn't really want to.

Like most guys, I'm not huge on Valentine's Day anymore. Cliched notions like it's too commercial a holiday aside, I've subscribed to Human Dynamo's thinking. If you love someone, you should show it all year round, not just on a specific chosen date. He feels the same way about birthdays, though does enjoy the weekend long celebrations that have become common in our crew, and also about President's day, as every month or so he sends a love letter to Abraham Lincoln.

As far as romance goes, I've always thought the holiday season was far more romantic. With temperatures that are at least tolerable, festive lights everywhere, everyone in a happy mood and the chance of a magical white Christmas, this is the time of year I wish most for a girlfriend and romantic dinners in front of a fire place.

The End.

No comments: